Shopping during the holiday season can present a unique danger. The holiday season is a time when busy people can become careless and vulnerable to theft and other holiday crime.
The following tips from the Los Angeles Police Department Crime Prevention Section can help you be more careful, prepared and aware during the holiday season.
- Shop during daylight hours whenever possible. If you must shop at night, go with a friend or family member.
- Dress casually and comfortably.
- Avoid wearing expensive jewelry.
- Do not carry a purse or wallet, if possible.
- Always carry your driver’s license or identification along with necessary cash, checks and/or a credit card you expect to use.
- Even though you are rushed and thinking about a thousand things, stay alert to your surroundings.
- Avoid carrying large amounts of cash.
It only makes sense to protect yourself and your family from the dark side of holiday shopping.
Want to read the entire list? LAPD Crime Prevention Section