Helping young people succeed is one of the most important things a society can do. High on the list of ways to achieve that is teaching sound money management skills. Where can you find information about borrowing, saving and avoiding scams?
The FDIC recently published a special resource online to help young adults learn money management techniques. Especially valuable for those under 21 who may still be in school, the money guide also has good information for parents, grandparents and guardians.
Look for specific information about:
- Saving money to meet specific goals, made easier with the help of automated services;
- Choosing and using an account for everyday banking;
- Mobile banking by smartphone;
- Building a good credit record;
- Obtaining and repaying student loans;
- Getting a good deal on an auto loan;
- Avoiding mistakes with credit cards;
- Recovering from debt or bill-payment problems; and
- Guarding against fraud, including identity theft.
Of course, you also have resources close to home at Peoples Bank. With special banking products for children, we help kids and their guardians learn how to begin saving for the future at an early age. Practicing good money management is critical if future financial needs are to be met. Talk to a community banker from Peoples Bank and take advantage of the resources available to you right here at home.